Communication, Education and Public Awareness (CEPA) are important instruments for conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity.
CEPA provides the link from science and ecology to people's social and economic reality. It supplies the oil for the implementation of the Convention on Biological Diversity. CEPA deals with the processes that motivate and mobilize individual and collective action. It comprises a range of social instruments including information exchange, dialogue, education, and marketing. The CEPA instruments work best when part of a broader instrument mix - e.g. combined with legal, financial and other instruments - that is used to develop, implement and manage the National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plans (NBSAP).
The CBD CEPA toolkit project was financially supported by the Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality of the Netherlands. The toolkit is developed by the IUCN Commission on Education and Communication (CEC) for the Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity and is meant for CBD focal points and those to whom the implementation of a NBSAP is delegated. The toolkit offers you information to update your knowledge and skills with fact sheets, checklists and practical examples from all over the world. For any questions or suggestions about the CEPA toolkit, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This website is a contribution to the CEPA toolkit by HECT Consultancy (www.hect.nl), manager for CEC of this toolkit project. It honors the enthusiastic participation in the development of this toolkit by members of CEC and other expert networks. This website contains materials and resources suggested by these networks, that could not be included in the hard copy version of the toolkit, but still are considered relevant for further professional updating. There is also a CEPA toolkit blog by Frits Hesselink available: the Art of Positive Change, http://cepatoolkit.blogspot.com. Hesselink offers ideas on this blog that might be good for our work in CEPA, biodiversity conservation and sustainable development.
We wish you inspiration and success!
On this website we offer you:
- Complete toolkit CEPA (pdf)
- Preface and acknowledgements (pdf)
- Section 1: Why do we need CEPA and how to start? (pdf)
- Section 2: How to network and raise awareness? (pdf)
- Section 3: How to engage stakeholders and mainstream biodiversity? (pdf)
- Section 4: How to plan communication strategically? (pdf)
- Glossary CEPA (pdf)
- Glossary ESD (pdf)
- Glossary Biodiversity (pdf)
- More tools: videos, power point presentations, brochures (link to the section)
- Links: a selection of useful websites (link to the section)
- Documents for further reading: manuals and background documents (link to the section)
- See also: http://cepatoolkit.blogspot.com